I decided to go around the internet and find cool open source software that we can use as photograpgers. I also happen to be a programmer, so there may be some more technical type stuff as the list grows.
PLEASE let me know if I missed anything, Also, I haven’t used all of this. If there is something here that you have actually used, leave a reply talking about it and I will link to it in the main thread so visitors can see what people actually think of the software…
- GIMP - A swiss knife for image manipulation.
- PhotoFlow - A non-destructive photo retouching program including RAW image development.
- ImageMagick - A suite of command-line utilities for modifying and working with images.
- GraphicsMagick - GraphicsMagick is usually faster than ImageMagick.
- Timelapse-sony - Android app for creating timelapse via “Ctrl with Smartphone” mode or connected by NFC.
- Remoteyourcam-usb - Control your Canon or Nikon DSLR camera from your Android device through USB.
RAW image developers
- Darktable - An open source photography workflow application and RAW developer.
- RawTherapee - A cross-platform raw image processing program.
- Photivo - A multi platform photo processor for RAW and bitmap images with 16 bit precision.
- Raw Studio - Read and manipulate RAW images from digital cameras.
- UFRaw - A utility to read and manipulate raw images from digital cameras.
- DCRaw - Decoding raw digital photos in Linux.
- Lightzone - Open-source digital darkroom software for Windows/Mac/Linux.
- Fotoxx - A Linux program for editing photos and other images.
HDR Specific Software
- Luminance - A complete workflow for HDR imaging
- QPSFTMO - HDR Tone Mapping GUI for Linux.
- PFS Tools - A set of command line programs for reading, writing and manipulating HDR images and video frames.
- Hugin - An easy to use cross-platform panoramic imaging toolchain.
- Panorama Tools - A framework for re-projecting and blending multiple source images into immersive panoramics of many types.
- Shotwell - A photo manager for GNOME 3
- DigiKam/ShowFoto - Open Source Photo manager for KDE/Gnome desktop.
- GPhoto - A program and library framework that lets users download pictures from their digital cameras.
- Lychee - A great looking and easy-to-use photo-management-system you can run on your server, to manage and share photos.
- Simple Gallery - A Android gallery app for viewing photos and videos similar to android stock gallery with support for file copy/move/rename/delete/share.
- Leaf Pic - material-designed android gallery alternative.
- A Photo Manager - Manage local photos on Android: gallery, geotag with photomap, tags, find, sort, view, copy, delete, send,…
- ExifTool - A program for reading, writing, and manipulating image, audio, and video metadata.
- Rapid Photo Downloader - A photo and video downloader for the Linux Desktop.
- Entangle - Entangle provides a GUI for taking photographs with a digital camera completely controlled from the computer.
Monitor Color Correction
Alternative Image Viewers
- Geeqie - An image viewer and image organiser program for Unix-like operating systems
- FEH - An X11 image viewer.
Useful GIMP Mods or Scripts
- GIMP Plugin Registry
- Cinepaint - A program for painting and retouching bitmap frames of films based on GIMP.
- Unsplash.com - Free (do whatever you want) high-resolution photos, licensed under the Unsplash License (changed from CC0)
- Pexels.com - Royalty free high-resolution stock photos, licensed under Creative Commons Zero (CC0)
- Pixabay.com - Royalty free stock photos and videos, licensed under Creative Commons Zero (CC0).
- Shutterography.com - Free Photos.